QB 010: A Few Questions
I got questions from readers on What Is the Best Writing App for Me? - Bicycle For Your Mind.
The main questions were:
- Why did you stop using Obsidian?
- Why did you recommend BBEdit, and not Sublime Text?
- Have you tried Zettlr, or QOwnNotes?
Why did I stop using Obsidian?
- The non-native nature of the product drove me batty.
- Missed “lazy typing.” (Two spaces turn into a period, and first letter of a new sentence is capitalized.)
- Missed the Services menu.
- Disliked the way it dealt with Alfred expansions. I rely on Alfred for my text expansions and Obsidian will periodically choke on them.
- Obsidian felt heavy to me. Everything is a little slow and Drafts, iA Writer, and BBEdit don’t suffer from that. I don’t know whether that is a function of Electron, or the number of plug-ins installed, or my old machine. Felt like I was walking through sand when working in Obsidian.
- I am not convinced about the need for a graphical view. I never used that.
- I miss block links, but it is not critical.
I have Obsidian installed and use it for certain tasks, but it is not a central part of my workflow.
One of the tasks I perform in Obsidian is to get the content from a webpage, convert to Markdown and save in my vault. I use a plug-in called kevboh/obsidian-pluck: Quickly create notes in Obsidian from web pages.. Slick.
Why did I recommend BBEdit, and not Sublime Text?
- The advent of VSCode has changed the marketplace. I am uncertain about the long-term viability of Sublime Text. It is difficult to compete with a free solution. In that context, I couldn’t recommend Sublime Text for a new user. I have more faith in the longevity of BBEdit than I do for Sublime Text.
- Sublime Text is a cross-platform application. BBEdit is more narrowly focused. It is a macOS only solution. That made me reason that it is probably protected from the market dominance of VSCode.
- Of course, I might be wrong in this assertion, but that was the thinking behind my recommending BBEdit instead of Sublime Text.
Zettlr and QOwnNotes
I have tried both. I am not fond of either. Zettlr crashes on my machine too often and QOwnNotes looks too ugly.
macosxguru at the gmail thingie.
Thanks to Anete Lusina